user510's (site owner) Thorens Gallery page.
Above: Slate plinth on diy TT stand. TD124 sn 13943, minus paint. Graham 2.2 tonearm. Denon DL103R lomc housed in one of Uwe's ebony body. And...the armboard is also a solid plank of ebony. No mushrooms.
above three photos: Using the oem clutch operated upper platter with oem rubber mat and with the Boston Audio BA-Mat 2 on top. This reduces spindle pin length above the mat and requires an adjustment to VTA/SRA settings, but does result in an apparent lower noise floor.
Above: a Neuance shelf sits over the turntable stand on four wide stack-ups of cork plate. The cork is used to level the Neuance because....the tt stand isn't quite level itself. (Note to self: I need to install adjustable footers to that stand.) Three "Golden Sound Large" ceramic cone feet are used to support the plinth above. The plinth is not what it might seem to be. It was partially assembled and glued up while in a custom jig with casting forms, then liquid catalyzed polyurethane foam was poured into it, ensuring an intimate and tight bond between the plinth and the foam. Once the foam pour was up to the top level, the lid was fit to the plinth then clamped and glued in place waiting for both the adhesive bonds between the wood parts and the polyurethane foam to fully cure. Following cure, the casting forms were removed from the casting jig. Then the chores were to; 1) Trim the foam edge flow-out. 2) Prep for paint. 3) Paint. 4) Dry. ..... Result; It's a little rough. But, hey....it's a prototype.. &-)
Four fresh rubber mushroom isolators from Audiosilente in Rome are installed into the four mounting holes of the foam-filled plinth. (these are an exact reproduction of the original Thorens mushrooms) Then the TD124 chassis, with the M5 threaded studs and adjusters fitted, go in through the center of each mushroom and find a secure seating between adjuster and mushroom. Adjusters are used to level the platter to the center of the earth. Btw, I'm not securing the chassis mount studs from underneath. Enough weight, the assembled chassis is...as Yoda might say.
In the photos numbered 1 thru 8 above it can be seen that Instead of the usual light aluminum clutch-operated upper platter, I was using a Boston Audio Mat 2 in its place. The Mat 2 is a machined graphite mat. Both the Mat 2 and the aluminum platter share the same cross sectional thickness at the point of contact with the 5 friction pads on the iron flywheel. So, for this period of time, the convenience of clutch operation is lost while I listen with the Boston Audio machined graphite mat (mat 2). But guess what... and no surprise... when I put the clutch operated upper platter back on, then slipped the BA-Mat 2 over it....I now have an apparently lower noise floor. And with lower noise floor comes improvements in detail as well as bass performance. (See photos 9,10&11) Yes, I did need to re-adjust vta/sra. That BA-Mat 2 is .200 inches thick. Anyway....I get the convenience of clutch operation back...which is much preferred to operating this turntable without it. With the BA-Mat 2 up on top, the spindle pin length above the mat is reduced by that thickness and offers just barely enough of pin for me to use one of my record weights over a standard thickness Lp. Nevertheless, SQ is improved in this config. It's way better than using 'just' the stock rubber mat. It's a no-brainer, really. What is needed here is for a re-design of the platter bearing, to include a longer spindle pin....and.....a different clutch-operated upper platter. One with better isolation that is influenced by this hack I'm doing right now. But more refined. Cad drawings in progress.
The armboard is isolated from the aluminum chassis by 3 finger-flex poly grommets supporting the 1/4 inch thick acrylic armboard. The armboard is secured via the normal three screws, this time the screws are used to adjust the gap distance between chassis and armboard so that it remains constant around the that part of the chassis. The finger-flex grommets are not fully compressed. The object here being to compress the grommets only slightly, but compressed enough to ensure that the armboard is securely in position. The tonearm is isolated from the armboard by 4 rubber grommets within the four fastener holes of its base plate. Lots of isolation going on here. And the SQ is enjoyable this way.
Oh, yeah; the tonearm and cartridge. The tonearm is the Infinity Black Widow. Later version with damping trough. The Cartridge is a Technics EPC 205C-II. This seems to be a good pairing between arm and cartridge. SQ is quite good and I find it competitive with a certain popular and affordable low output moving coil cartridge also from Japan. (Denon DL-103R) Link to my review of this cartridge and the setup pictured.
Btw, that solid aluminum machined idler wheel from AudioSilente is holding up well. Speed stability seems very good with that idler wheel. Better than any stock wheel I've used.
Previously, in Lynnwood, Wa.
other notes: I have owned two other TD124 motor units over the past 9 years. Sn 2729 (sold) and Sn 7888 (sold). 13943 is the one I keep and it will receive upgrades and updates in the future as I determine. At this point everything I have learned about keeping a TD124 operating correctly can be seen and heard in this chassis.
Current: Concept render: TD150mk II with R7.1 mods. More details at link
Thorens TD150 mkII
more details on this one: No. 79209
A Thorens TD160
the one that began this website for me:
comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org